What counts as Proof of sufficient financial means?

When we apply for your visa and/or residence permit we will ask for proof of sufficient financial means (proof of sufficient funds). This means you must demonstrate that you have sufficient funds at your disposal to cover all your monthly costs.

You can demonstrate that you have sufficient funds in one of three ways:

  • Transfer sufficient funds for living expenses to Leiden University. We will return the funds to you after you have arrived and opened a Dutch bank account.
  • Submit an original bank statement in your name.
  • Submit a scholarship statement.

Note that your bank statement and scholarship letter must meet strict criteria, so please read the instructions on the webpage below very carefully in advance.