I have a student residence permit. Can I stay in the Netherlands after graduation?

Once you complete your studies at Leiden University we are obliged to notify the Dutch Immigration Department (IND) that you are no longer one of our students. Your student residence permit will then be cancelled and you must either leave the country or request a new permit for a different ‘purpose of stay’, for example for an Orientation Year for Graduates.

If you wish to change your ‘purpose of stay’ with the IND after leaving Leiden University you must submit the application yourself. However you are welcome to drop by during our Visa & Residence Permit Consulting Hours at Student Support Services, located in Plexus Student Centre, for advice and assistance.