How and where do I get an Apostille for my birth certificate?

In some circumstances international students may have to show an original legalised birth certificate when they register at their local Dutch town hall.

Students from countries that have signed the Apostille treaty of The Hague should contact their local government authorities to request an Apostille. An overview of the designated government authorities in signatory countries can be found on the website of the Hague Conference on International Private Law.

Students from countries that have not signed the Apostille treaty have to visit the Dutch Embassy in the country where they officially reside in order to have the document properly authenticated. This must be arranged well in advance of your departure to the Netherlands.